Yadkin River Trail
The Donnaha Yadkin River Access will be closed starting on March 15th, 2021 through the Fall of 2023 to replace the Highway 67 bridge across the Yadkin River.
The Yadkin River Trail is a blueway, which is a water path or trail that has launch points, camping locations, and points of interest for canoeists, paddle boarders, and kayakers. Blueways are typically developed by state, county, or local municipalities to encourage recreation, ecological education, and preservation of wildlife resources.
The Yadkin River Trail is designated as a State Blueway Trail and includes High Rock Lake, Tuckertown Reservoir, and Lake Tillery, with a connected series of river access points from Wilkes County to Montgomery County, including four in Yadkin County (Shoals, Donnaha, Huntsville, and Shore). Yadkin County maintains three river access sites on the Yadkin River: Donnaha Yadkin River Access, Shores Yadkin River Access, Huntsville Yadkin River Access. Below is a list of all access that are on the Yadkin River in close proximity to Yadkin County.
Distance to next Public Access
|Ronda||1934 Clingman Road, Ronda NC 28670||Town of Ronda, 336-835-2061||6.8 miles|
|Crater Park In Elkin||310 Standard St., Elkin NC 28621||Elkin Recreation and Parks, 336-258-8917||6.9 miles|
|Rocky Forest River Run (Private)( Reservations Required) https://rockyforestriverrun.com/||172 Rocky Forest Trail, Elkin NC||Rocky Forest River Run, 336-469-8652||3.5 miles|
|Burch Station At Mitchell River||100 Greenwood Circle, Elkin NC 28621||Surry County 336-401-8235||4.7 miles|
|Yadkin/Shore||10374 US 601, Dobson NC 27017||Yadkin Co. Recreation Dept, 336-679-4228||16.8 miles|
|Shoals||4726 Shoals Rd, Pinnacle NC 27043||Pilot Mountain State Park, 336-444-5100||6.8 miles|
|Donnaha||7300 Donnaha Rd, Tobaccoville NC 27050||Yadkin County Recreation Dept, 336-679-4228||6.7 miles (includes mandatory portage)|
|Old 421 Park||7695 Yadkinville Rd, Lewisville NC 27023||Forsyth County Parks and Rec, 336-778-6300||5.4 miles|
|Huntsville||SR1001, Yadkinville NC 27055-under the Yadkin River bridge||Yadkin County Parks and Recreation 336-679-4228||10.8 miles|
|Tanglewood||4061 Clemmons Rd, Clemmons, NC 27012||Forsyth County Parks and Rec, 336-778-6300||16.7 miles (includes mandatory portage)|
River Safety Tips
- Always wear a life jacket. It cannot save you if it is not on your body. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to put on a life jacket once you are in the water.
- Know your skill limits and stay within them.
- Dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature.
- Be aware of all take-out points, river hazards, and water levels.
- Even shallow water can move fast and be dangerous, especially around bridge piers/piling, rocks, and downed trees.
- If you are stand-up paddling, wear a quick-release safety leash that will keep your board connected to you but can be easily detached if it becomes entangled.
- Alcohol and boating do not mix.
- Always let someone know where and when you will be paddling. Let them know when you are off the river.
- Do not overload your paddle craft.
- Avoid paddling or floating after storms. Water quality can be impaired and increased debris can be in the river.