These services provide short-term assistance to citizens in crisis when no other funds are available to alleviate the crisis. This assistance is based on eligibility requirements.
The Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) assists individuals and families who are experiencing a heating or cooling related crisis. A household is in a crisis if it is currently experiencing or is danger of experiencing a life threatening or health-related emergency and sufficient, timely and appropriate assistance is not available from any other source.
Each household will be evaluated on a case by case basis to determine if there is a heating or cooling crisis. Certain other requirements for CIP do apply.
Applications may be received in person, by mail, by fax, by telephone, or outside drop box. An interview is required, however this can be conducted by telephone.
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a one-time annual energy provider payment to help families pay their heating expense.
Anyone who wishes to apply for LIEAP can do so either in person, by mail, by telephone, outside drop box, and the beginning in January 2021 online through E-pass.
The following group may apply beginning December 1st.
- Household with a person age 60 and above or
- Households with a person with disabilities that receives services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS). Disabled individuals are defined as receiving Supplement Security Income (SSI), Social Security Administration (SSA) or Veterans Administration (VA) disability.
Any household can potentially receive benefits beginning January 1st through March 31st or until funds are exhausted. If all eligibility requirements are met.
This year due to COVID-19 those eligible in December
- Age 60 and above or
- Households with disabled individuals receiving services through Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS) and
- Received a LIEAP payment for the 2019-2020 fiscal year (June 1, 2019- July 31, 2020) and
- Currently receiving Food and Nutrition Services
May not have to apply as they have in the past. A notice will be sent to those household beginning November 10, 2020. If changes are necessary, please complete and return the notice no later than November 24, 2020.